Going for Plastic Surgery is a big decision owing to its non-invasive nature, the health risks it could cause, and the associated expenses. Therefore, you need to be sure about opting for the surgery and possess a positive mind with no space for ifs and buts.
Your surgeon could help a lot in this regime; all you need is to ask the expert the right questions in a candid face-to-face discussion. Here, we will focus on some crucial questions that you should ask your surgeon before going inside the surgery room. Before that, let’s find out more about why deciding on plastic surgery is a big move.
Why opting for plastic surgery is a BIG decision?
These factors altogether make your decision of undergoing plastic surgery an important one:
Plastic surgery is risk prone
Whether you are undergoing a breast augmentation, facelift, tummy tuck, Rhinoplasty, cleft palate, butt lift, or almost any other surgery, it is hard to rule out the chances of risks. From administering anesthesia to making incisions, eliminating fat from the body to suturing the cuts and more, every stage is equally likely to pose side effects.
You could have bleeding, infection, or complications due to anesthesia, swelling, unbearable pain, etc. It would therefore be good to know about the probable risks beforehand and find out from the doctor if your body is healthy enough to withstand those risks.
Plastic surgery is irreversible
The results of cosmetic or plastic surgery are long-lasting and mostly as per expected. Nevertheless, if the outcome is much below your expectation and you do not feel satisfied with the surgery results, you could hardly do anything to reverse the results. At best, you could go for a revisional surgery, which will require you to bear more expenses. Hence, you must be sure about the selection of your surgeon to get the expected outcomes.
Plastic surgery is a costly affair
Be it the first surgery or corrective surgery, it could pose a major setback to your budget. You should therefore evaluate your financial state before making the decision. Much will rely on the type of surgery and the surgeon you approach.
Plastic surgery cannot change your personality
Remember, plastic surgery is just a reconstructive treatment to improve the appearance of your injured or damaged visible body parts. In no way will it change your personality or give you a chill pill. While a successful surgery could boost your confidence and self-esteem, a wrongly done surgery could leave you with an adverse psychological impact on your mind.
Questions to ask
Asking several questions to yourself and your surgeon will help you reach closer to making a sagacious decision.
Questions for yourself
Before going under the knife for plastic surgery, you should try to find the honest answers to a wide range of questions, such as:
- What is your motive behind the surgery?
- Do you want to alter your appearance?
- Do you wish to change the look of your damaged body due to an injury?
- Which part of your body do you want the surgery for?
- Do you have realistic expectations regarding the surgery results?
- How much will the surgery affect your personal, social, or professional life?
- Are you an ideal candidate for the surgery you want to undergo?
- Is this the best time to have plastic or cosmetic surgery?
- Have you tried enough of the other non-invasive treatments?
- Is surgery the last resort to improve your appearance?
Questions for your surgeon
If you could get satisfying answers to the questions you ask yourself, the next move would be to ask a set of questions from your surgeon. Here is a list of some common queries to help you.
- What is your academic qualification?
- Are you a board-certified surgeon?
- For how long have you been doing plastic surgery?
- What is your experience in performing surgery for the selected domain?
- Which surgery would you suggest depending on my body condition?
- Do you provide accredited ambulatory facilities to deal with any emergency?
- Could you please show some before and after surgery photos of your patients?
- Do you have a certified doctor for administering anesthesia?
- What are the probable risks and complications of the concerned plastic surgery?
- Will you carry out a complete body checkup before the surgery?
- How long will it take for complete recovery?
- After how many days can I get back to the office?
- What are the chances of getting the expected results?
- Will the surgeon also include other healthcare professionals in my care?
- Will the scars remain on my body for life or they will wear off with time?
- Will you remove the stitches manually or they will dissolve on their own?
- For how long will the results of plastic surgery last?
A second opinion never hurts!
You can go on to ask the same questions from other experienced and duly certified surgeons as well. There is no harm in taking a second opinion. In addition, seeking advice from your family, friends, colleagues and other real people regarding the surgery would be good.
Talking to patients who have already undergone a successful surgery under the guidance of your surgeon would help you further to know the expertise of the surgeon.
To know more about the qualities of an experienced surgeon or to opt for plastic surgery in the hands of a qualified and experienced surgeon, feel free to contact us. We will be glad to guide you in your cause.